Discontinued - No Longer Available
Core Sound is pleased to offer the M-Audio CO3 digital audio format
converter, S/PDIF and AES-EBU digital audio cables and our exclusive CO3
Do you have a DVD player that only has an S/PDIF coaxial (RCA) output
and a digital receiver with optical (Toslink) inputs? Are you trying to
dub from a DAT machine with S/PDIF coaxial outputs to another with
AES-EBU XLR inputs? Are you trying to interface an external
professional A/D converter with AES-EBU XLR outputs to your computer's
audio card that only accepts S/PDIF coaxial? Is your D/A converter too
far from your computer to use S/PDIF reliably? Does your CD player
output S/PDIF with an SCMS code that prohibits copying on consumer DAT
or CD-R recorders? Do you need to feed up to three devices from one
If so, then the CO3 might be the answer to your prayers!
One of the most persistent irritations in the digital audio world has
been that it's difficult to convert between the many data formats
(S/PDIF, AES-EBU, AC-3) and physical formats (RCA/coaxial,
Toslink/Miniplug Optical, XLR/coaxial) found in professional and
consumer equipment. And if that weren't enough, the Serial Copy
Management System (SCMS) incorporated in consumer gear made it hard for
professionals to use lower cost consumer equipment in the studio.
The CO3 solves these problems at very low cost. The CO3 converts a
digital audio data stream between any of the three most common formats
(S/PDIF: Toslink/optical and RCA/coaxial, AES/EBU: XLR/AES-EBU coaxial).
It also fully controls the SCMS characteristics of an S/PDIF data
The CO3 works fine with S/PDIF, DTS, Dolby Digital and even 24-bit/96
kHz sampling rate data streams.
Using its front panel selector switch, you can select any one of three
inputs. All three outputs are active simultaneously. Unlike cheaper
converters (e.g., the "Dr. D"), when converting from S/PDIF to AES/EBU
data formats, or from AES/EBU to S/PDIF, the CO3 converts data format as
well as the physical format.
- Converts between AES/EBU, S/PDIF Coax and TOSlink format digital
- Three inputs: AES/EBU, S/PDIF Coax and TOSlink
- Three outputs: AES/EBU, S/PDIF Coax and TOSlink
- Source button determines selects active input. LEDs indicate active input
- Converts to all three output formats simultaneously
- SCMS (Serial Copy Management System) button sets copy protection:
pass-thru, no copy protection, force "original", or force "1st
generation." LEDs indicate the SCMS mode.
- Supports sample rates up to 100kHz
- Built-in jitter correction
- One-third rack sized chassis
- LED indicates the validity of the incoming audio stream.
- Powered by 9 Volt DC wall wart (included) or by 9 Volt battery via
optional cable (three hours of battery life on one standard 9 Volt
- Power requirements: 210 milliamps at 9 Volts